Government Agencies

We often hear people say, “How can this be allowed to happen?” We’ve said it ourselves, many times. The people who can do something don’t know about it unless someone reports it!

There are several government entities who can address different aspects of your problem with Narconon – licensing agencies, consumer agencies, investigatory agencies, and elected officials. Often, these officials will not act directly on your complaint, but are concerned with tracking and establishing patterns of conduct on the part of businesses acting in an unethical or illegal manner. Some of these authorities and what they can address are outlined below. Sometimes it may seem to you that government agencies move slowly, but they are often understaffed and have outlined procedures they must follow, so you must persist in making your complaint be heard, even if it seems to take a long time to come to conclusion.

State Licensing Agencies
These agencies license drug rehab and addiction treatment facilities, and in some cases, they license substance abuse education programs as well. They have more direct oversight over these facilities than any other authorities listed on this page. They generally handle complaints for anything included in their regulations covering drug rehabs, which vary from state to state. They do not usually get involved in anything that pertains to breach of contract, fraud, or lawsuits, although it doesn’t hurt to mention these things in your complaint if they have occurred, so that they are informed.

When you make a complaint to a state licensing agency, you should mention any improprieties. It may be helpful, as well, to read the laws for the particular state because there may be some potential violations that you were unaware were covered under the law, and if you can spell out the laws that were broken, your complaint may be dealt with more quickly.

We have a list of state licensing agencies with contact information for your convenience: State Licensing Agencies. Links to the state’s laws can sometimes be found on the same sites, or if not, the agency can direct you to the laws.

Government Consumer Agencies
Most states have consumer protection agencies that take complaints of fraud, bait and switch tactics, and other unfair or deceptive business practices. Exactly how and what they will act on varies from state to state. The U.S. federal government links to all of the state sites, where you can get more specific information, here: Index of State and Local Consumer Agencies

If you found Narconon through the internet and you feel you’ve been the victim of fraud or false representations, or other attempted crime that occurred over the internet, the U.S. Government’s Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) is another agency you can report to. The Internet Crime Complaint Center is a partnership between the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and the National White Collar Crime Center (NW3C). They take complaints from third parties as well as victims, and refer them to the appropriate law enforcement or regulatory agencies that have jurisdiction over the matter. You can file a report here: Filing a Complaint with the IC3.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) does not resolve individual consumer complaints, but instead tracks patterns of wrong-doing, which can lead to investigations and prosecutions. Make a complaint with them in order to get Narconon on their radar, using their FTC Complaint Assistant.

There are other federal agencies that regulate consumer services as well. You can call 1-800-FED-INFO to determine which others may help with your complaint.

Legislators and Law Enforcement
Each state has an Attorney General who serves as chief legal advisor to the state government and is the state’s chief law enforcement officer. The more information the Attorney General has about a business, the better, when the time comes for action to be taken. Be sure that the Attorney General has a complaint from you concerning your rehab experience at Narconon. There is a list of Attorneys General for each state at the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG). Be sure to mention in your complaint to an Attorney General that Narconon operates as a 501(c)3 tax exempt organization. Tax exempt organizations come under greater scrutiny than most for-profit businesses when it comes to possibly ill-gotten gains.

With drug treatment facilities, regulation is primarily left up to each state. An enforced national standard of care that would determine minimum standards with regard to safety, patient’s rights, and advertising would work wonders for cleaning up some of the conditions that exist. Relay your experiences to your congressmen and speak with them about enacting legislation of this type. If you don’t already know who they are and how to reach them, you can find your congressmen on these lists of U.S. Senators and members of the House of Representatives.

If you have witnessed anything during your experience with Narconon, for example, drug use, sexual misconduct or sex between clients and staff, threats, violence, fraudulent misrepresentations to yourself or other clients, violation of fire or other safety standards, call the police department with jurisdiction over the Narconon location and report what you have seen. Many times, these law enforcement officials who have direct jurisdiction over a Narconon location are woefully uninformed as to what is taking place in their district.

We have given you a number of government authorities who can do something about Narconon’s violations of the laws and regulations. We understand that there may be other things on your mind at the moment, like getting your money back, finding a legitimate treatment facility, and dealing with emotional issues that have resulted from your experience at Narconon. If you aren’t concerned with reporting your experience to the authorities at this time, please bookmark this page or add it to your favorites and return to it when you are ready to file these types of complaints.

You may also be interested in information about filing complaints with Consumer Organizations or adding your voice to the Internet Community.