Drug Rehab Licensing – State Agencies

In the United States, the laws that regulate drug and alcohol rehab facilities vary from state to state. Each state has its own licensing agency and its own requirements for licensing. These agencies can tell you the licensing status of a facility, whether there have been complaints in the past, and the classification of the facility (i.e., residential or out-patient). Read How to Choose a Drug or Alcohol Rehab for additional suggestions for your research.

They can also assist you with filing a complaint with them. Read our advice on Writing Your Complaint first to make your complaint as effective as possible.

In the list of states below, we have provided agency name, address, phone number, and web site, if available. Click on the state name to expand the licensing agency information for that state. An (N) to the right of the state name designates that there are one or more Narconon facilities currently open or recently closed in that state.

Note: As of the time of writing, the links were accurate, however the states seem to change their websites quite often. If the link doesn’t work or provide the information you need, we suggest you call the agency and ask for the correct information.

If you find any links that are not working, or if any links don’t go to the right page, please let us know so we can update the page.

Alabama Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation
100 North Union Street
PO Box 301410
Montgomery, AL 36130
Phone: (334) 242–3961
Website: http://www.mh.state.al.us
Substance abuse | Certification: http://www.mh.alabama.gov/SACR/?sm=d_b
Department of Health and Social Services – Division of Behavioral Health
501 “C” Street, Suite 878
Anchorage, AK 99503
Phone: (907) 269–3600
Website: http://hss.state.ak.us/dbh/default.htm
Resources and policies: http://www.hss.state.ak.us/dbh/resources/policies.htm#ADA
Division of Health Care Services
Licensing and Certification: http://www.hss.state.ak.us/dhcs/hflc/contact.htm
Behavioral Health Licensing
Division of Licensing
Arizona Department of Health Services
150 N. 18th Ave, 4th Floor
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: (602) 364–2536
Website: http://www.azdhs.gov/als/index.htm
Arkansas Department of Human Services
Division of Behavioral Health Services
Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention
4313 West Markham, 3rd Floor Administration
Little Rock, AR 72205
Phone: (501) 686–9168
Website: http://www.state.ar.us/dhs/homepage.html
California (N)
Department of Health Care Services – Substance Use Disorder (SUD) Services
P.O. Box 997413
MS# 2601
Sacramento, CA 95899-7413
Phone: (916) 332–2911
Toll Free: ((877) 685-8333

Website: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/individuals/Pages/SUD-Services.aspx
Complaints: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/individuals/Pages/Sud-Complaints.aspx
Licensing and Certification: http://www.dhcs.ca.gov/individuals/Pages/LicensingandCertification.aspx
List of Facilities: https://chhs.data.ca.gov/Facilities-and-Services/Department-of-Health-Care-Services-DHCS-Licensed-R/rzbp-crfv
Colorado (N)
Colorado Department of Human Services – Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division
3824 W. Princeton Cir.
Denver, CO 80236
Phone: (303) 866-7400
Fax: (303) 866-7481
Website: https://sites.google.com/a/state.co.us/cdhs-behavioral-health/home
Laws and Rules: http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDHS-BehavioralHealth/CBON/1251581440623
Connecticut Department of Public Health
410 Capitol Ave., MS #12HSR, PO Box 340308
Hartford, CT 06134
Phone: (860) 509–7407
Website: http://www.dph.state.ct.us
License Search: Check licensing status: https://www.elicense.ct.gov/Lookup/LicenseLookup.aspx
Complaints: http://www.ct.gov/dph/cwp/view.asp?a=3121&q=387678&dphNav_GID=1821&dphNav=|
Department of Health and Social Services
Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health
Springer Building
1901 N. Dupont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720
Phone: (302) 255–9441
Website: http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dsamh/
Regulations: http://dhss.delaware.gov/dhss/dsamh/regs.html
Information for Families: http://kids.delaware.gov/pbhs/pbhs_families.shtml
District of Columbia
DC Drug Treatment Choice Program Provider Directory
1300 First Street, NE, Room 319
Washington, DC 20002
Phone: (202) 727–9393
Website: http://dbh.dc.gov/page/apra
Provider Directory and Complaints: http://dbh.dc.gov/service/file-complaint-or-incident-report
Florida (N)
Department of Children and Family Services
Substance Abuse Program Office
1317 Winewood Blvd., Building 6
Tallahassee, FL 32399–0700
Phone: (850) 488–9210
Website: http://www.myflfamilies.com/service-programs/substance-abuse
Licensure: http://myflfamilies.com/service-programs/substance-abuse/licensure-regulation
Contacts: http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/programs/samh/SubstanceAbuse/docs/specialists.pdf
Georgia (N)
Georgia Department of Community Health
Main office
2 Peachtree Street, NW
Atlanta, GA 30303
Phone (404) 656-4507
Website: http://dch.georgia.gov/healthcare-facility-regulation-0
Find a facility (text search):
Find a facility (map search): http://www.gamap2care.info/Locator.html#cat=Healthcare&type=Drug+Abuse+Treatment+Center
File a complaint: https://services.georgia.gov/dhr/reportfiling/searchFacility.do?action=constituentComplaint
Department of Health
Office of Health Care Assurance
601 Kamokila Blvd., Rm. 301
Kapolei, HI 96707
Phone: (808) 692–7400
Website: http://health.hawaii.gov/substance-abuse/
Department of Health and Welfare
Substance Abuse Program
450 W. State Street, 5th Floor
PO Box 83720
Boise, ID 83720-0036
Phone: 1-800-922-3406
Website: http://www.healthandwelfare.idaho.gov/Medical/SubstanceUseDisorders/tabid/105/Default.aspx
Illinois Department of Human Services
Department of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse
100 W. Randolph, Suite 5–600
Chicago, IL 60714
Phone: (312) 814–4917
Website: http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=29725
Regulations: http://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar/admincode/077/07702060sections.html
Investigations: http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=30269
Complaints: http://www.dhs.state.il.us/page.aspx?item=29439
Division of Mental Health and Addiction
Family and Social Services Administration
402 W.Washington Street
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: (317) 232–7883
Website: http://www.in.gov/fssa/dmha/index.htm
Indiana Administrative Code -Title 440 Division of Mental Health and Addiction: http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/title440.html
Article 4.4. Addiction Treatment Services Provider Certification in PDF format: http://www.in.gov/legislative/iac/T04400/A00044.PDF?
Iowa Department of Public Health
Bureau of Substance Abuse Services and Licensure
Lucas State Office Building
G. Dean Austin, Bureau Chief
21 E. 12th Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
Phone: (515) 242–6161
Fax: (515) 281–4535
Website: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/bh/substance_abuse.asp
Regulation: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/bh/admin_regulation.asp
Prevention: http://www.idph.state.ia.us/bh/substance_abuse_prevention.asp
Department of Mental Health and Mental Retardation Services
Division of Substance Abuse
100 Fair Oaks Lane, 4E–D
Frankfort, KY 40621
Phone: (502) 564–3487
Website: http://chfs.ky.gov/os/oig/dhcfs.htm
Regulations: http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/kar/908/001/370.htm
Louisiana (N)
Department of Health and Hospitals
Bureau of Health Standards
PO Box 3767
Baton Rouge, LA 70821
Phone: (225) 342–0138
Website: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/directory/detail/749
Complaints: http://new.dhh.louisiana.gov/index.cfm/page/254
Office of Substance Abuse
AMHI Complex, Marquardt Building, 3rd Floor
159 State House Station
Augusta, ME 04333
Phone: (207) 287–2595
Website: http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/osa/
Licensing and regulatory services: http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/dlrs/index.shtml
Office of Substance Abuse: http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/dlrs/Licensing/OSA/home.html
Office of Healthcare Quality
Bland Bryant Building
55 Wade Avenue
Catonsville, MD 21228
Phone: (410) 402–8654
Website: http://adaa.dhmh.maryland.gov/SitePages/Home.aspx
Complaints: http://dhmh.maryland.gov/ohcq/SitePages/Complaint%20Form.aspx
Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Bureau of Substance Abuse Services
250 Washington Street
Boston, MA
Phone: (617) 624–5105
Website: http://www.state.ma.us/dph/bsas/licensing/license.htm
Michigan (N)
Michigan Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs
Bureau of Health Professions – Substance Abuse Program
P.O. Box 30670
Lansing, MI 48909
(517) 241-1970
Website: http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,7-154-63294—,00.html

Department of Human Services
Chemical Health Division
444 Pine Street
St. Paul, MN 55155
Phone: (651) 296–0156
Website: http://www.dhs.state.mn.us/main/idcplg?IdcService=GET_DYNAMIC_CONVERSION&RevisionSelectionMethod=LatestReleased&dDocName=id_000082
Mississippi Department of Mental Health
Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
239 North Lamar Street
1101 Robert E. Lee Building
Jackson, MS 39201
Phone: (601) 359–1288
Website: http://www.dmh.state.ms.us
Department of Mental Health
Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse
1706 E. Elm, PO Box 687
Jefferson City, MO 65102
Phone: (573) 751–4942
Website: http://dmh.mo.gov/ada/
Nevada (N)
Department of Health and Human Services
Division of Mental Health and Developmental Services
Substance Abuse Prevention and Treatment Agency
4126 Technology Way, 2nd Floor
Carson City, NV 89706
Phone: (775) 684-4190
Fax: (775) 684-4185
Website: http://mhds.nv.gov/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=61&Itemid=72
Licensing, Certification, Complaints: http://health.nv.gov/HCQC.htm
Substance Abuse Help Line
Immediate Assistance 24/7

Call (775) 825-4357
Website: http://www.crisiscallcenter.org/crisisservices_sa.html
New Hampshire
Department of Health and Human Services
Division of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention and Recovery
105 Pleasant Street
Concord, NH 03301
Phone: (603) 271–6108
Website: http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dcbcs/bdas/index.htm
Contact info: http://www.dhhs.nh.gov/dcbcs/bdas/contact.htm
New Jersey
Department of Human Services
Division of Addiction Services
PO Box 362
Trenton, NJ 08625
Phone: (609) 292–5760
Website: http://www.state.nj.us/humanservices/das/index.htm
New Mexico
Behavioral Health Collaborative
P.O. Box 2348
37 Plaza la Prensa
Santa Fe, NM 87504
Phone: 505-476-9275
Fax: 505-476-9277
Website: http://dhi.health.state.nm.us/QMB/index.php
Regulations: http://dhi.health.state.nm.us/HFLC/hflc_regindex.php
Complaints: https://dhi.health.state.nm.us/elibrary/ironline/hflc_instructions.php
New York
New York Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services
1450 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203
Phone: (518) 485–2251
Website: http://www.oasas.ny.gov/pio/oasas.cfm
Complaints: http://www.oasas.ny.gov/PA/index.cfm
North Carolina
Division of Health Service Regulation
Mental Health Licensure and Certification Section
Chief: Stephanie Alexander, Stephanie.Alexander@dhhs.nc.gov
Physical Address: 805 Biggs Drive, Raleigh, NC 27603
Mailing Address: 2718 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-2718
Phone: 919-855-3795
Fax: 919-715-8078
CARE-LINE 1-800-662-7030
Website: http://www.ncdhhs.gov/dhsr/mhlcs/mhpage.html
North Dakota
Department of Human Services
Division of Mental Health & Substance Abuse
1237 West Divide Avenue, Suite 1C
Bismarck, ND 58501-1208
Phone: (701) 328-8920 / 1-800-755-2719
Fax: (701) 328-8969
Website: www.nd.gov/dhs
Licensed treatment programs: http://www.nd.gov/dhs/info/pubs/docs/mhsa/nd-licensed-addiction-treatment-programs.pdf
Ohio Department of Alcohol & Drug Addiction Services
30 W. Spring Street, 6th Floor
Columbus, OH 43215-2256
Phone: 614-466-3445
Fax: 614-752-8645
Website: http://www.ada.ohio.gov
Contacts: http://www.odadas.state.oh.us/public/ContactUs.aspx?CategoryID=43b6f6bb-0784-4c7f-a7ec-24a5760630db
Oklahoma (N)
Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
1200 N.E. 13th Street
PO Box 53277
Oklahoma City, OK 73152
Phone: (405) 522–3800
Website: http://www.odmhsas.org
ODMHSAS ReachOut HotLine
Office of Mental Health and Addiction Services
500 Summer Street, NE E86
Salem, OR 97301-1118
Phone: (503) 945-7652
Fax: (503) 378-8467
Email: OAR.AMH@state.or.us
Website: http://cms.oregon.gov/oha/amh/Pages/index.aspx
Bureau of Community and Program Licensure and Certification
Division of Drug and Alcohol Program Licensure
132 Kline Plaza, Suite A
Harrisburg, PA 17104
Phone: (717) 783–8675
Website: http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt?open=514&objID=557527&mode=2
Licensure and monitoring : http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/drug___alcohol_treatment_licensing/14156
Rhode Island
Division of Behavioral Healthcare Services
14 Harrington Road Cranston
RI 02920
Phone: 401-462-2339
Fax: 401-462-3604
Website: http://www.bhddh.ri.gov/SA/
Regulations: http://sos.ri.gov/documents/archives/regdocs/released/pdf/MHRH/6497.pdf
South Carolina
South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control
2600 Bull Street
Columbia, SC 29201
Phone: (803) 898-DHEC (3432)
Website: http://www.scdhec.net
Licensing: http://www.scdhec.gov/health/licen/
Complaints: http://www.scdhec.gov/health/licen/complaint.htm
South Dakota
Office of Health Care Facilities Licensure & Certification
South Dakota Department of Health
615 E. 4th St.
Pierre, SD 57501
Phone: (605) 773-3356, 1-800-738-2301
Website: http://doh.sd.gov/providers/health-facility-licensure/
Complaints: http://doh.sd.gov/providers/complaints.aspx
Licensing: http://dss.sd.gov/behavioralhealthservices/licensingboards/board_ada.asp
Tennessee Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services
Office of Licensure, Central Office:
Andrew Johnson Tower, 12th Floor
710 James Robertson Parkway
Nashville, TN 37243
Phone: (615) 532-6590
Fax: (615) 532-7856 (fax)
Website: http://www.state.tn.us/mental/
Licensing: https://mhddapps.state.tn.us/Licensure/Inquiry.aspx?RPT=TDMHSAS%20License%20Inquiry
Regulations: http://www.state.tn.us/sos/rules/0940/0940-05/0940-05.htm
Toll-free Crisis Hot Line
1-855-CRISIS-1 (1-855-274-7471)
Website: http://news.tn.gov/node/6719
Texas (N)
Texas Department of State Health Services
Mental Health and Substance Abuse Division
P.O. Box 149347
Mail Code 2053
Austin, Texas 78714-9347
Phone: 1-866-378-8440
Website: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/mhsa/
Regulations: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/hfp/rules.shtm#substance
License Search: http://vo.dshs.state.tx.us/datamart/login.do
Complaints: http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/hfp/complain_ntc_subabuse.shtm
Utah Department of Human Services
Division of Substance Abuse and Mental Health
195 North 1950 West
Salt Lake City, Utah 84116
Phone: (801) 538- 3939
Fax: (801) 538-9892
Public Information: (801) 538-4410
Website: http://www.dsamh.utah.gov/substanceabusetreatment.htm
Office of Licensing
Phone: (801) 538–4242
Bureau of Health Facility Licensing, Certification, and Resident Assessment: http://health.utah.gov/hflcra/
Licensing: http://www.hslic.utah.gov/substanceabusetreatment.htm
Facility search: http://www.hslic.utah.gov/db_search.asp
Department of Health, Office of Alcohol and Drug Abuse Programs (ADAP)
108 Cherry Street, Room 202
P.O. Box 70, Drawer 27
Burlington, Vermont 05402-0070
Phone: (802) 651-1550
Fax: (802) 651-1573
Email: AHS.VDHADAP@state.vt.us
Website: http://healthvermont.gov/adap/treatment/treatment.aspx
Regulations in PDF format: http://healthvermont.gov/adap/treatment/sabuserules1.pdf
Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services
1200 Bank Street, PO Box 1797
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (804) 786-3921
Voice TDD: (804) 371-8977
Fax: (804) 371-6638
Substance Abuse Services Website: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/OSAS-default.htm
Office of Licensing
Phone: (804) 786–1747
Website: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/OL-default.htm
Licensed provider search, complaints, investigations: http://www.dbhds.virginia.gov/OL-default.htm#LPSS
Department of Social and Health Services – Behavioral Health and Recovery
PO Box 45330
Olympia,WA 98504–5330
Attention: Bob Geissinger
Phone: (360) 438–8055
Website: http://www.dshs.wa.gov/dbhr/da_information.shtml
Washington State Department of Health
Health Systems Quality Assurance Complaint Intake
P.O. Box 47857
Olympia, WA 98504-7857
Phone: (360) 236-4700, 1-800-633-6828
License Search: https://fortress.wa.gov/doh/facilitysearch/
Complaints: http://www.doh.wa.gov/LicensesPermitsandCertificates/FileComplaintAboutProviderorFacility/FacilityComplaintProcess.aspx
Washington Recovery Help Line
Phone: 1-866-789-1511
Website: http://www.warecoveryhelpline.org/
West Virginia
Department of Health and Human Resources
Bureau for Behavioral Health & Health Facilities
Divison on Alcoholism and Drug Abuse
Website: http://www.dhhr.wv.gov/bhhf/sections/programs/ProgramsPartnerships/AlcoholismandDrugAbuse/Pages/default.aspx
Office of Health Facility Licensure and Certification
408 Leon Sullivan Way
Charleston, WV 25301
Phone: (304) 558-0050
Website: http://www.wvdhhr.org/ohflac/
Rules: http://www.wvdhhr.org/ohflac/BH/WV_Law.aspx
Contacts: http://www.wvdhhr.org/ohflac/BH/Contact.aspx
Wisconsin Addiction Services Bureau of Prevention, Treatment and Recovery (BPTR)
1 West Wilson Street, Room 850
PO Box 7851
Madison, WI 53707-7851
Phone: (608) 266-2717
Fax Room 850: (608) 266-1533
Fax Room 851: (608) 267-7793
Email: DHSWEBMAILDMHSAS@dhs.wisconsin.go
Website: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/substabuse/index.htm
Contacts: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/substabuse/contact.htm
Department of Health Services- Division of Quality Assurance
Office of Health Facility Licensure and Certification
P.O. Box 2969
Madison, WI 53701-2969
Phone: (608) 266-8481
Fax: (608) 267-0352
Website: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/rl_DSL/AODA/AODAintro.htm
Complaints: http://www.dhs.wisconsin.gov/rl_DSL/AODA/AODAContax.htm
Department of Health – Behavioral Health Division
6101 Yellowstone Rd, Suite 220
Cheyenne, WY 82002
Phone toll-free: (800) 535-4006
Phone: (307) 777-6494
Fax: (307) 777-5849
Email form: http://www.health.wyo.gov/EmailUs.aspx?DivID=2
Website: http://www.health.wyo.gov/mhsa/index.html
Standards: http://www.health.wyo.gov/mhsa/about/Standards.html
Certification: http://www.health.wyo.gov/mhsa/treatment/Certifications.html
Complaints: http://www.health.wyo.gov/ohls/complaint.html